Call Now For A Free Consultation 509-482-7274
Slow Moving Vehicle Accidents
Slow moving vehicle accidents are not as common but do happen in Spokane. Just as there are maximum speed limits, there are minimum speed limits. Drivers are not to drive as such a low speed as to impede traffic unless required for safe operation of the vehicle or because law requires it. When passing a slow moving vehicle on a two lane highway, be sure to leave plenty of space to pass. If you are operating a slow moving vehicle, pay attention to how much traffic is behind, as Washington law requires slow vehicles to pull over and let cars pass if five or more vehicles are lined up behind it.
RCW 46.61.425: Minimum speed regulation—Passing slow moving vehicle.
- No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law: PROVIDED, That a person following a vehicle driving at less than the legal maximum speed and desiring to pass such vehicle may exceed the speed limit, subject to the provisions of RCW 61.120on highways having only one lane of traffic in each direction, at only such a speed and for only such a distance as is necessary to complete the pass with a reasonable margin of safety.
- Whenever the secretary of transportation or local authorities within their respective jurisdictions determine on the basis of an engineering and traffic investigation that slow speeds on any part of a highway unreasonably impede the normal movement of traffic, the secretary or such local authority may determine and declare a minimum speed limit thereat which shall be effective when appropriate signs giving notice thereof are erected. No person shall drive a vehicle slower than such minimum speed limit except when necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.
RCW 46.61.427: Slow-moving vehicle to pull off roadway.
On a two-lane highway where passing is unsafe because of traffic in the opposite direction or other conditions, a slow moving vehicle, behind which five or more vehicles are formed in a line, shall turn off the roadway wherever sufficient area for a safe turn-out exists, in order to permit the vehicles following to proceed. As used in this section a slow moving vehicle is one which is proceeding at a rate of speed less than the normal flow of traffic at the particular time and place.
RCW 46.61.428: Slow-moving vehicle driving on shoulders, when.
- The state department of transportation and local authorities are authorized to determine those portions of any two-lane highways under their respective jurisdictions on which drivers of slow-moving vehicles may safely drive onto improved shoulders for the purpose of allowing overtaking vehicles to pass and may by appropriate signs indicate the beginning and end of such zones.
- Where signs are in place to define a driving-on-shoulder zone as set forth in subsection (1) of this section, the driver of a slow-moving vehicle may drive onto and along the shoulder within the zone but only for the purpose of allowing overtaking vehicles to pass and then shall return to the roadway.
- Signs erected to define a driving-on-shoulder zone take precedence over pavement markings for the purpose of allowing the movements described in subsection (2) of this section.
Auto Injury Attorney
Hazards on the road, including slow moving vehicles, can increase the likelihood of an auto injury accident on the road. If you are injured in an accident you need an experienced and knowledgeable personal injury lawyer in Spokane on your side. The attorneys at Parke Gordon Law Firm will work hard to get you the compensation you deserve. Contact the law office of personal injury attorney Mat Parke today for a free consultation. This is your opportunity to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney about your case for free. Call (509) 482-7274 to get started on receiving a fair settlement from your personal injury case.
You Pay Nothing Until We Win Your Case
Call Now For A Free Consultation 509-482-7274 Dog Bite Laws in Coeur d’Alene The following are the legal dog bite laws in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. Please check the following link to city ordinances for any updates or changes to the laws:(http://www.sterlingcodifiers.com/codebook/index.php?book_id=603Title 6, Animals) Administration Purpose The purpose of this title is to encourage responsible animal…Read More
Call Now For A Free Consultation 509-482-7274 Dog Bite Statute in Washington Can the victim of a dog bite sue the dog owner in the state of Washington? Know the personal injury liability rules and defenses regarding dog bites in the dog bite statute for the state of Washington below. Dog Bite Statue in Washington…Read More
Spokane, Washington Law Office
Our Spokane, Washington law firm services clients in and surrounding Spokane, including for injuries and accidents in Spokane Valley and injuries and accidents in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. Visit or call our Spokane law firm today.
421 W Riverside, Suite 256
Spokane, WA 99201