Attempting to pass another vehicle creates a risk of a car accident for yourself and others on the road. Unless passing is completely necessary because of a slow-moving vehicle in front, avoid making unnecessary traffic maneuvers or continuously changing lanes or passing other vehicles. The following are a few rules for passing another vehicle you should keep in mind to stay safe on the road.
- When it is necessary to pass, the law requires you to only pass on the left (using the left lane). Only pass on the right when absolutely necessary to avoid a traffic hazard and only when it is safe to do so.
- When passing a motorcycle, remember to give the bikers the same full land width as other vehicles. Never drive in the same lane as the motorcyclist.
- The law requires you to signal at least 100 feet before changing lanes.
- Before attempting to pass on a two-lane road, check pavement markings and signs to be sure it is legal to pass.
- If another vehicle is attempting to pass you, be courteous by slowing down a bit and allowing them to safely pass.
- Check your mirrors and look over your should to be sure traffic is clear before attempting to pass.
When Passing is Illegal
A DO NOT PASS sign is on the roadway.
- The center line on the roadway is a double solid yellow line or there is a solid yellow line on your side.
- Passing a vehicle traveling at or above the posted speed limit. In order to pass, you would have to go at least 10-15 miles per hour faster.
- There is not enough time to pass the vehicle in front of you and return safely to your lane before confronting oncoming traffic within 200 feet of your vehicle.
- You are within 100 feet of a bridge or railroad crossing.
- You are behind a school bus that is loading or unloading children.
Spokane Car Accident Attorneys
Looking for car accident attorneys and auto accident lawyers in Spokane, Washington? Our Spokane car accident lawyers at Parke Gordon Law Firm have years of experience representing car crash clients in Spokane and obtaining impressive money settlements quickly. Speak to an experienced auto accident attorney at our Spokane law office today during a free case review. This is your opportunity to discuss your case with an experienced, trusted and knowledgeable attorney for free. Call (509) 482-7274 now to get started on your car accident case with an experienced car crash lawyer in Spokane.
You Pay Nothing Until We Win Your Case[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]
Spokane, Washington Law Office
Our Spokane, Washington law firm services clients in and surrounding Spokane, including for injuries and accidents in Spokane Valley and injuries and accidents in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. Visit or call our Spokane law firm today.421 W Riverside, Suite 256 Spokane, WA 99201 Phone:(509) 482-7274
Connect With Us
Facebook Twitter Google+ Instagram