Due to a motorcycle’s lack of protection to the rider, a person may assume that more motorcycle accidents are common. But which is most common, motorcycle accidents or car accidents? According to statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2013, about 106,000 motorcycle accidents occurred compared to 5,669,000 car accidents. In addition, 4,668 people died in a motorcycle accident while 22,383 in a car accident. Thus, there are far more car accidents than motorcycle accidents.
However, according to motorcycle accident statistics, per vehicle mile traveled, a motorcyclist was 26 times more likely to be killed in a motorcycle accident than a driver or passenger in a car accident. Similarly, a motorcyclist is five times more likely to be injured in an accident than a passenger in an automobile.
Motorcycle Accidents vs. Car Accidents
- Approximately 80 percent of motorcycle accidents involve injury or death while only 20 percent of car accidents involve injuries or fatality.
- There are 22.92 motorcycle fatalities for every 100 million miles traveled. In contrast, there are 0.86 fatal car accidents per 100 million miles traveled.
- Of all registered vehicles, motorcycles make up 3 percent and .07 percent of vehicle miles traveled. However, motorcycles make up 14 percent of all traffic fatalities.
- Failure to see a motorcycle is the most common cause of a motorcycle accident.
- Three-fourths of all motorcycle accidents involve a collision with another vehicle, most commonly a passenger vehicle.
High Death Rate of Motorcycle Accidents
While there are more car accidents on American roads, motorcycle accidents are substantially more fatal; especially for motorcyclists that are not wearing a helmet at the time of the accident. 37 percent of fatal motorcycle accidents could be prevented had the rider been wearing a helmet. An additional, 67 percent could have avoided injury by wearing a helmet.
Motorcyclist lack protection and often result in a wide range of injuries including minor cuts to life-threatening injuries that can alter a person’s life forever such as paralyzed or vegetative state.
Spokane Motorcycle Accident and Car Accident Lawyers
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident due to the negligence of another driver you may be entitled to recover compensation for the following.
- Past and future medical expenses.
- Repair or replacement for damages to your motorcycle.
- Lost wages.
- Pain and suffering.
Contact an experienced and knowledgeable motorcycle accident attorney at Parke Gordon Law Firm today. Our law firm believes every client deserves fair representation against big insurance companies with deep pockets. We will aggressively fight for every penny you are owed. Call our Spokane law office at (509) 482-7274 for a free consultation. This is your opportunity to discuss your motorcycle accident case with a trusted, aggressive and experienced personal injury attorney.
You Pay Nothing Until We Win Your Case[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]
Spokane, Washington Law Office
Our Spokane, Washington law firm services clients in and surrounding Spokane, including for injuries and accidents in Spokane Valley and injuries and accidents in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. Visit or call our Spokane law firm today.421 W Riverside, Suite 256 Spokane, WA 99201 Phone:(509) 482-7274
Connect With Us
Facebook Twitter Google+ Instagram