A fatal motorcycle accident in Spokane occurred recently when a car pulled out of a parking lot and hit the motorcyclist. Spokane Police Department reported that the rider of the motorcycle died at the scene. It was reported that investigators are interviewing witnesses and will be checking video surveillance footage from nearby businesses. The driver of the vehicle did not seem to be impaired and is cooperating with authorities.
Tips to Prevent Motorcycle Accidents
Here are some tips to prevent motorcycle accidents:
- Look and listen before making a turn. Almost half of all motorcycle accidents involving a vehicle are caused by the vehicle making a left turn in front of the biker.
- Check your blind spot periodically. It helps to know who is driving around you. This is especially true with motorcyclists since they are smaller. Always check your blind spot especially before changing lanes.
- Leave some extra space in front of you. A good rule of thumb is to leave 4-second space between you and the motorcycle. This will give you enough time to react should an emergency arise.
- Be courteous in bad weather. Motorcycle act differently in bad weather. Leave more space for the biker to be able to navigate properly.
Typical Causes & Factors of Motorcycle Accidents
Another way to prevent motorcycle accidents is being educated on what some basic causes of motorcycle accidents are. The National Traffic Safety Administration funded a study in 2006 to determine causes of motorcycle accidents. Here are some of its findings:
- The most likely place for a motorcycle accident to occur is in an intersection.
- 98% of motorcycle accidents are not due to weather hazards.
- About three-fourths of motorcycle accidents involve a collision with another vehicle, usually a car.
- 92% of motorcycle riders involved in motorcycle accidents learn from friends, family or are self-taught.
- Most motorcycle accidents happen within the first few minutes of a trip.
- The main cause of motorcycle accidents are due to other drivers in vehicles not noticing the motorcyclist.
Motorcycle Accident Attorney Mat Parke
If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident have lost a loved one to wrongful death, contact Harvard law grad Mat Parke to represent your case. Personal injury attorney Mat Parke has years of experience handling motorcycle accident cases, car accidents, semi truck accidents, wrongful death and other personal injury cases. Call the law office of Mat Parke today for a free consultation.
You Pay Nothing Until We Win Your Case[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]
Spokane, Washington Law Office
Our Spokane, Washington law firm services clients in and surrounding Spokane, including for injuries and accidents in Spokane Valley and injuries and accidents in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. Visit or call our Spokane law firm today.
421 W Riverside, Suite 1050 Spokane, WA 99201 Phone:(509) 482-7274
Connect With Us
Facebook Twitter Google+ Instagram